Getting on and pain in shoulder blades and neck. Noticed knot on collar bone. Hurts to turn neck. Solution?

For the last few days I've had pain that comes and goes in the inner part of my right shoulder blade that sends sharp pains up the right side of my neck. Today I noticed a soft knot (roughly the size of a small egg) where my neck and collar bone join. It doesn't hurt to swallow but definitely hurts to turn my neck and reach in any direction from the right.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The new knot like swelling in your neck is most likely an enlarged lymph node.
The lymph node in this area usually denote a serious medical condition either an infection, tuberculosis or a cancer.
The painful area you have described seems to be the primary seat of the trouble.
Please consult your physician as soon as possible and get investigations and imaging studies to get a clue.
You should receive treatment urgently.
I hope you will be proactive to limit the complications.
Wish you a great health.
Follow-up: Getting on and pain in shoulder blades and neck. Noticed knot on collar bone. Hurts to turn neck. Solution? 14 hours later
Hello Dr. Choudhary,

Thank you for your response.

The knot has gone done quite a bit after I applied a heating patch yesterday but my neck and inner shoulder blades are now tight. I've been having very frequent tonsil stones which I know is a sign of a bacterial infection and I've inquired about having my tonsils removed but, my doctor didn't think that is the right way to go. I have made an emergency appointment to XXXXXXX with her tonight. I pray this isn't as serious as tuberculosis or a cancer.

Again, thank you for your response.

Best regards,
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 24 hours later
Welcome back to healthcare magic Physician's desk!
You should not do any warm compresses or massage on the knotty swelling of your neck, because it is not a disease per se, but it is the body's method of putting a barrier to the spreading of disease further.
If you handle this then you may actually get harm by giving a passage to the disease to cross this barrier.
The issue of calcific tonsillitis needs to be handled according to ENT surgeons advise.
It is very impudent of you that you have taken an fast appointment to sort out the diagnosis and to stream line the appropriate management.
I think the advise would be helpful for you.