Getting on and off sharp pain behind umbilicus. Ultrasound showed clear. What to do?

Nov 2013

Hey, Since I can remember I have have this really sharp pain behind my umbilicus which comes and does. When it comes which I currently am in an episode now it restricts movement. I can't stand up straight as it pulls and absolutely kills. I have had some doctors look at it before and they all think nothing is wrong. I have had an ultra sound that came back clear. I have no idea what to do. When it pulls it can become a line of sharp pain right down to the virginal area. When people even slightly touch my umbilical area at anytime it is also painful.
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
I can understand your discomfort with this painful condition.

Urinary Bladder pain is one which can start in umbilicus and travel to vulva/vagina. Is your pain more, when the urinary bladder is full and is less after you pass urine?

Uterine pain can also be similar.

Problems of both these organs- urinary bladder and uterus- can be seen on ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis. If the sonologist has any doubt, CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis would be useful.

If above is totally normal, then the pain could be related to panic/anxiety or a nerve pain.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM