Getting off warfrin. Have A fib and advised to take xarel. Could I take neurontin instead of dilantin?

Dec 2012

hi i`m getting off warfrin because of many problems with it. I had a dvt 10 yrs ago and I also have a-fib. Xarel has been recomended for both problems and without blood checks monthly. I take dilantin for a partial seizure disorder. 300 mgs per day. I want to know if I can switch from dilantin to neurontin so that I`m compatable with xarelto?
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It will be fine to switch but on a condition

Detailed Answer:

thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

It is possible to switch to neurontin (generic name: gabapentin) but as an adjunctive therapy for treatment of partial seizures with or without secondary generalization of seizures. Taking the medication uniquely for treatment of your partial seizures might not be as effective as taking it in combination to another antiseizure drug such as valproic acid. Indeed, dilantin (generic name: phenytoin) has significant interactions that needs to be monitored closely with xarelto (generic name: Rivaroxaban). Most physicians actually prefer not to associate the two medications and I will advise against it too.
In any case, you can not do the switching by yourself without consulting with your doctor who alone can make that decision to switch you to another antiseizure medication.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah