Getting normal stool with normal color. Stool test normal. Should I be worried?

doctor sometimes my stool shape is not that thick but not so thin but the consistency of stool is normal and the colour is also normal . is my stools is ok ?.Even i had a stool test and everything seems to be normal but still my concern is about sometimes i am geting thin stools .
but sometimes my stool is vey thick and long should i want to be so concerned ?
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 40 hours later

The problem faced by you is fairly common and looks like nothing to worry.

Stool consistency is known to vary with diet and water intake. If there is no abdominal pain, fever, blood or pus in stool with no associated symptoms of loss of appetite or weight loss, then you need not worry.

Additionally if stool examination is normal, that is assuring.

Do you have other symptoms like fatigue, palpitation, sweating then investigating for thyroid (TSH) would be helpful. You can try taking isapgula husk 2 tsp at night which is available with most of the chemist for 15 days and see if you feel better.

If the symptoms still persist or if you develop the above mentioned symptoms, you can get evaluated and a colonoscopy may be necessary.

Hope this answers your query. Do let me know if you have any other questions

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Getting normal stool with normal color. Stool test normal. Should I be worried? 4 hours later
hi doctor,

i had a sigmoidoscopy test , ultra sound abdominal scan and even i had a complete blood check in which all the test result are normal ....still i need to have colonoscopy doctor ?.blood test included even thyroid doctor

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 6 hours later
Thank you for the query,
I do not think you need any more tests. Try taking ispaghula husk 2 tsp at night and it may solve the problem. If sigmoidoscopy was normal then we can wait on colonoscopy.
Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery.