Getting nervous, having stress and concentration problem. How to get rid of this?

I have worked in the financial industry for most of my adult life and am finding it increasingly difficult to conduct face to face interviews. This is a necessary part of my job and at the present time I dont have any alternatives and I also have financial obligations. I am making more errors, have difficulties concentrating and become very nervous and feel like running out of my office. I lost my voice competely last year and was told it was probably stress, it has never been the same since that time I have been going to accupuncture for stress relief and have discussed this with my family Doctor who thinks I should reduce my work schedule. I told him I feel very guilty explaining this to my supervisor so have delayed telling her. I am under a lot of pressure to produce sales and make appointments which of course means more face to face meetings. I would like to change my job and have had a professional resume completed but havent sent any for fear of rejection. My Doctor has not prescribed any medications but has encouraged me to exercise more, I do not smoke or drink and am practising some XXXXXXX breathing techniques.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 16 minutes later

I think you are having anxiety associated with stress. Anxiety can be component of variety of psychological disorders including depression. There could be problems like difficulty in concentration, nervousness, feeling to run from a situation, fear of rejection, etc as explained by you.

Your psychiatrist after a detailed physical examination will get investigations including a Thyroid function test to rule physical causes of anxiety.

Medications as prescribed by your psychiatrist may help along with life style changes. I am happy to see that some of the life style changes are being followed by you already.

1. Meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, etc will help.
2. Go for a walk. Recreational exercises will be of use.
3. Do not take the whole problem on yourself. After doing your part, you need not be concerned.
4. Sometimes slowing down in life helps. Play with kids.
5. Do not try to be the best always.
6. Look at the positive things in life.
7. Listen to music, do some gardening work.
8. Participate in spiritual acts.

Hope this helps.