Getting needles pain in center of chest. How to get relief from this sensation?

I some times get pains in the center of my chest , feels like small needls and shallow to the serfus.
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
From your description of pain, it looks like anginal pain. Anginal pain is due to impaired blood supply to heart muscles leading to impaired oxygen supply.

Risk factor for your case is high cholesterol causing atherosclerosis and anginal pain.

Now as you are aware of heart burn sensation, we need to confirm it as anginal pain by using few investigations.
Electrocardiogram [ECG] can show changes of old ischemia even if it is taken after pain.

Next step is treadmill stress test which confirms if it is stable angina or unstable angina - helps to predict anginal attack.

Consult cardiologist to rule out heart disease; as sometimes muscular pains/indigestion pain can be similar to angina. Doctor may advise you cardiac enzymes also as their levels go up in heart attack.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.