Getting neck pain. MRI scan showed spinal rings size reduced. Any suggestion?

Oncologist
Question
My aunt is getting neck pain she was advised to take MRI scan for spine. I am attaching that report. Doctor told that 3 spine rings size got reduced. Could you please help in taking second opinion
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I reviewed the report which you have submitted. I want to make sure that you are aware that the report you submitted is describing a MR I of the lower spine.

There are some degenerative changes reported on the MRI which would contribute to symptoms of back pain and sometimes leg pain. The findings of the MRI which you submitted does not explain any type of changes which would be related to
. I suspect there may be some other MRI which was done which focused on her neck.

Again there are degenerative changes which are noted in the MRI which would contribute to pain. This pain would more commonly be associated with low back and leg pain.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Getting neck pain. MRI scan showed spinal rings size reduced. Any suggestion? 15 minutes later
Thanks for the response.
Yes Doctor she is getting leg pains. What is her current condition is it severe. What medical treatment she has to take. Are there are cancer chances

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up question.

I see no signs of cancer in the report which you have submitted. The radiologist has not seen any changes in the bones or the soft tissue which suggest any type of cancer.

Regarding treatment of her pain she will need to discuss this with an orthopedic surgeon. There are several different options. One option might include steroid injections. These can sometimes significantly improve pain.

In addition there is a procedure called kyphoplasty where a specialist can't inject bone cement into the spine to help relieve pressure on the nerves. Again this is something you need to discuss with an orthopedic specialist.

Thanks again for your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert