Getting muscle pain in arm, neck, shoulder and back. What is the required treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have muscle trouble abd have been seeing massage therapists for some time. I am currently in between therapists and haven't been for about 2 1/2 weeks today I'm getting pin prick like pain in my left arm and normal muscle pain in my neck shoulders and back. But I'm concern about this pain as it seems to travel down to my hands
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

What you are experiencing is called 'Radiculopathy'. It basically suggests entrapment of a nerve root in your cervical spine in its origin or course. It is somehow not so uncommon now in younger population and we like to call it industrial neck pain, since its prediliction towards people working in computer related industry.

It can be caused by lifting weights, episodes of over-exertion during work, long hours on computer, inappropriate posture while sleeping or sitting, lack of proper nutrition-exercises-rest-recreation or any other relevant past medical history.

If it has been persistent or even increasing since few days, you need to visit your orthopaedician. Depending upon the clinical findings they might ask you to get an MRI done, which shall help establish a diagnosis and in turn allow one to formulate a treatment plan.

Let me assure you that this is temporary and self limiting illness that usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics).

In case the pain is not adequately relieved with the present treatment then you may need oral muscle relaxants and methylcobalamnin supplements for proper relief.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.