Getting loose stool in hot weather. Noticed tiny bits of red in stool. Should I be concerned?

Sep 2012

Hi, i work as a medical receptionist and i worked all weekend with many gastro-infected patients around. I am normally prone to loose stools during hot weather and it has been upto 44 degrees in the past few days.. also i have recently just changed my diet for the better, so im eatng less carbs and more protein, fruit, nuts and veg. Yesterday after dinner i had loose stools twice and same with today, there is no cramping or stomach pain. I have also noticed that there was tiny bits of red in my loose stools tonight but i know that they can be caused from tomatoes and red capsicm which i ate last night but still.. should i be concerned?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 34 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

As you told you are prone to loose stools in hot days, I think there is no need to be too much concerned right now, but be cautious.

Look, protein diets are not always good in hot days. It is better to avoid them. Because, they are hard to digest and thus easily lead to indigestion and this type of problems.

You are right. The red tiny bits may be of tomatoes or red capsicum. But, if you experience this type of episodes, in coming 2 to 3 days, it is better to do a stool examination to rule out any possible infections.

For the present condition, you can do the followings
1.     Change the diet as I have told.
2.     Clean your hands adequately every time before taking any food.
3.     Take a pantoprazole group of drug daily.
4.     One enzyme group of agent can also be considered before meals.
5.     You can take lactobacilli XXXXXXX for 7 days. It will rebuilt the compromised intestinal flora.

Lastly, if the condition does not improve, consult a gastroenterologist in person.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Getting loose stool in hot weather. Noticed tiny bits of red in stool. Should I be concerned? 16 hours later
okay thanks for your help. What is a pantoprazole drug and what is a lactobacilli sachet? also i have noticed that when i wipe there is some mucus on the toilet paper but no blood.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

Pantoprazole is an anti acid agent.

Lactobacilli are bacterias. They enriche our normal gut flora. They are essential for digestion process in gastrointestinal tract.

Just consult a general physician for a prescription.