Getting little relief from promethazine prescribed for sinus pain and muscle weakness. What to do?

I have been having this symptoms for over 2 weeks. I was having chills, mild fever, pressure in my sinuses,muscle weakness, inability to maintain erection. I went to the ER a little over a week ago. The nurse said I had some type of virus, and that my sinuses were blocked. She prescribed generic promethazine a OTC nazal decongestant. I have relief for a little while but I still have the same symptoms except for the blocked sinuses. I don't know what to do
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Likely to be a viral infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The symptoms that you have described are likely to be due to a generalized viral infection. Viruses in the environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms including fatigue, chills, muscle pains, etc. These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets. Do take acetaminophen round the clock for symptomatic relief. I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night). Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.