Getting lightheadedness, sudden spell of dizziness. Bp and sugar level normal. Underlying cause?

Hi..I've been having dizzy spells today the actual light headedness is short but then my arms start to shake and/or my knees begin to buckle..luckily I have been able to sit down quickly or hang on to something so I haven't fallen..I checked my blood pressure and blood sugar and both are fine.
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Most common causes for a sudden spell of dizziness is variation in the blood pressure, dehydration or low sugar levels.

Since blood pressure and blood sugar levels were fine on investigation, the other less common causes like vestibular disease, insufficiency in cerebral circulation, heart arrhythmias etc have to be ruled out.

I would like to know some more details on your problem to narrow down the possibilities.

Did you get such dizzy spells anytime in past?
Since how long do you have this problem?
Do you feel your heart pounding during the episode?
Did you have ear infections in past?
Were there any problems with the vision during such episode?

Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: Getting lightheadedness, sudden spell of dizziness. Bp and sugar level normal. Underlying cause? 17 minutes later
I have on occasion had dizzy spells but I believe only once before with my knees buckling and arms shaking they have only been happening todaymy blood pressure was 120/62 which normally is quite low for me and my blood sugar was 112 i don't believe that is too low,,is it?,,I have not heart pounding or vision changes..I have had ear infections but not since childhood
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 minutes later

Thanks for the information.

The blood pressure reading and the blood sugar are normal and do not pose any risk of developing such a dizzy spell.

Absence of palpitation(heart pounding) or vision change rules out heart and cerebral circulation defects.

Considering history of ear infection in you, I believe there is a need for you to get your vestibular (Inner ear) functions tested. Vestibular apparatus is a structure in the inner ear which helps in maintaining balance, defect in it due to past ear infection could give rise to such dizzy spells, though this does not explain buckling of knees and tremors in arms, I would consider it safe for you to rule it out once.

Do consult an ENT specialist who can examine and assess your vestibular functions.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.