Getting lightheaded when I am angry, frustrated or happy. Taking xanax. Reason?

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
Hello. I get lightheaded and unsure on my feet when angry, frustrated or extremely happy. This has been happening for more than one year. Xanax helps, but I am trying to understand the root cause. XXXXXXX 60, male
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 2 hours later

One persons feeling (like anxiety,happiness,anger ) are all determined by the minor chemical signals transmitted by the neurons in the brain by excitatory signals.

It has been regulated by counter regulating inhibitory signals in order to maintain an normal behavior.
In certain situation like old age the inhibitory signals are not achieved effectively ,resulting in your behavior for this recent years.

Alprazolam (xanax) an benzodiazepine is an inhibitory one (gaba) helps in your situation.

Hope helped your query.

Follow-up: Getting lightheaded when I am angry, frustrated or happy. Taking xanax. Reason? 5 hours later
So, is this something that I will just have to live with for the rest of my life? Does it get worse as I get older?

Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 3 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing back.

No, first of all understand, it is not a disease, it can be modified by healthy lifestyle.
Try to have peaceful surroundings.

Do not involve yourself to any unpleasant situation.

Have good sleep, which helps you to refresh your taught.

Try to meditate, which will provide calm feelings.

If you change your lifestyle, you will feel the difference and your condition too would not get worse any further.

In case of worsening situation, try to visit your physician and get examined.

Follow-up: Getting lightheaded when I am angry, frustrated or happy. Taking xanax. Reason? 9 hours later
Thank you! I will do as you suggest.

Glad you mentioned sleep. The worst episodes always seem to correlate with little or poor sleep the night before. It makes sense.

Thank you!
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 1 hour later
You are always welcome,
We are here to help you only,
Let me know if you have future queries.
Try to write your review on your free time,
Wishing good health.
Take care,
Dr.surendiran .