Getting light headed, having gas. Have ulcerative colitis. Is the gas side effect of disease?

Question
This is the most embarrassing thing ever. I have had a lot of gas tonight, as I continue to pass it I am getting more and more light headed. I actually almost passed out this last time and no it's not due to the smell. The gas is virtually odorless but excessive. I have ulcerative colitis, is this just another side effect I've never experienced?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

From the symptoms it looks like acute gastritis and gastrointestinal reflux.
Gastritis is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach. There are many possible causes of this disorder including an infection (bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic), an irritant, backup of bile or due to acid reflux. Focally enhancing gastritis is now recognized as a condition seen in both Crohn disease and ulcerative colitis. Hence it may be due to ulcerative colitis in your case.

Drink plenty of water to detoxify the body. Also take an antacid or a H2 blocker like Rantac or a PPI inhibitor drug like Omeprazole or sucralfate containing anatacids after consulting your doctor.

Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietician will be helpful. Try raising the head end of your bed by at least two blocks and take your meals 2 hrs prior to bedtime. Also avoid taking two or three heavy meals. Instead, take regular frequent small meals. Avoid taking tea or coffe prior to bedtime and concentrate more on a healthy diet.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Getting light headed, having gas. Have ulcerative colitis. Is the gas side effect of disease? 14 hours later
I have been eating an extremely healthy diet, in fact I have been on almost a completely liquid diet consisting of vitamin drinks and green drinks. I have been on an antacid as well. The problem is getting worse and there is blood in my stool, should I go into the doctor? The blood is actually a part of the stool and is a dark reddish black color. I also have very fresh red blood that I believe to be a fissure or hemorrhoid.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

People with ulcerative colitis have tiny ulcers and small abscesses in their colon and rectum that flare up periodically and cause bloody stools and diarrhea. This may be the reason for bloody stools.

bleeding from somewhere close to the anus because closer the source of bleeding is to the anus, the brighter red the blood will be. If it is fresh blood and only streaks along with hard stools and pain in the anal region while defeacating, it could be because of anal fissures (injury to the mucosal lining by hard stools which bleeds) or piles. The causes of bloody stool that is more maroon in color is intestinal polyps, inflammatory bowel disease or diverticulosis (diverticulosis causes significant bleeding).

Hence it needs evaluation from a gastroenterologist and a CT scan abdomen and a colonoscopy as well as upper GI endoscopy to rule out any peptic ulcer disease are needed.