Getting large, dark, red and smooth patches on lower arms. What could be causing this and cure?

Jul 2012

I am 70 years old, in heart failure, have very little money and need to know if the large, dark red and smooth patc hes on my lower arms are something to worry about or if they are caused by any of my meds or by my bad circulation. They get much darker when exposed to sunlight, they slowly fade when I remain indoors for a week or longer.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 19 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX
I hear you. I note all the medications you are on.
How long exactly has this been happening?
Is it possible for you to perhaps upload a clear digital photograph of said lesion (dont fret if not tech savvy & its fine)!?
From your history & clinical description, it does appear to be some sort of photoallegic reaction. I do suspect a medication precipitating this sequence of events. But, please do not stop any medication. Do bring this up with your treating physician when next you review your medications & then he/she should be able to alter them to suit your needs. Dont see it as a major problem. Do layer your skin with any good quality sunscreen or if you want to cut corners given your financial situation, i recommend plain ole calamine lotion (one with a zinc oxide combination) before you step outdoors!
Trust this was helpful & you are soon in the pink' ;-)
keep smiling & wish you good health always!
Do close this query if you feel our work here done & give us a healthy rating if time permits! Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India.