Getting knee pain. Cannot walk properly. Suggest best hospital?

Question for my mom. She is 54 years old and she always getting pain in her Knee and couldn't able to walk properly. Please advice and kindly let me know which is the best hospital at CBE to consult, as we are residing at CBE.

Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think medical college will be the right place.

Detailed Answer:

At the age of 54, knee pain is a very common complaint especially in women. This is generally due to age related degenerative changes or due to calcium deficiency induced by menopause. This pain is going to be part of her life; but the good news is we can implement specific measures to control the symptoms and give her a better quality of life.

The first priority however is to rule out other causes of knee pain especially preexisting arthritis. A rheumatologist / orthopedician would be the right choice of specialist to treat her.

As I understand, CBE stands for Coimbatore. I practice far away from this place, therefore I am unable to refer a good expert to you. But you should be able to find them in any multispecialty hospitals. I think look for specialist at either choose the Government run Coimbatore Medical College or PSG Institute of Medical Science and Research. Since these are training, educational and research institutes, they will have the best experts as their faculty members.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.