Getting itchy welts and hives on hands and fingers. How to get rid of this?

Question
Starting to get unusual welts or hives on hands and fingers. first noticed when base of fingers were a little itchy (pinky and ring finger on left side) and red then went away.
1 week later a red and itchy began near joint and back of thumb on same hand. a week after that a spray of bumpy welts appeared on opposite right hand near other joint of thumb area. About 7 or 8 small red bumps spread apart. While left hand had horseshoe shaped welt or 'u' like welt on joint wrist area, just one. These were happening at various times of the day. It began while just relaxing in front of tv.
Another appeared in mid day and had not eaten for at least a couple of hours. The last occurence was immediately after I ate a meal.
Then two days later as soon as I awoke, my right joint wrist area on back of wrist began itching, I looked down and I had numerous scaly bumps. Seems to have increased. What could this be? Disease? Tick bites? They have been a problem and is the only thing i could think of that could bring this on so suddenly. I am also beginning to have increased itchiness on neck area but no patches or welts just pinkness. I have had a headache for at least two or three days intermittently so I've been laying down a lot and drinking lots of water. As of today, no headache yet as of me writing this to you. Feeling sick and just sluggish. No nausea, just a general ill feeling and tired more than usual. I dont have insurance at the moment. Is there anything I can do at home? What should I do?
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 4 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
From your description seems to be an exaggerated immune response. You have to make an self assessment and find out when start your problem and possible causes. I noted you rash, redness, itchy are migratory (appeared and disappeared). Such signs and symptoms are suggestive for urticaria, allergic reaction probably to some foreign antigen(molds, animal wool, dander , mite feces, bug bites, dust, pollen or drugs, food , infections). Also such migratory redness, itching can occurs due to systemic autoimmune diseases, endocrine disorders, or due to emotional or physical stimuli, stress, anxiety. What you can do practically now, is to check yourself one more time , check your food, etc.. if there any causal factor, remove it and start antihistamines such : Cetirizine, or Diphenhydramine, or Levocetirizine, or Fexofenadine. If your signs and symptoms will persist you need Allergologist consultation plus complete blood count, serum IgE level, make an chest X-ray, as you stated you have cough since many years. All these measures wil help understand your condition and accordingly will be easier to treat.
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.
Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail