Getting itchy bumps on arms, hands and legs got bigger and darker. Cause and treatment?

I am sixty years old and I have started getting this little bumps on my arms, hands and legs. they start out small but the get bigger and turn brown. My brother has the same problem but he is sixty seven and he has them all over his body and he just let them go and they have gotten bigger and darker. I just starting to get them and I don't want to look like him. What is it. Thank you,XXXXX They are these little bumps and some times the itch, and there was one on my leg that got about a half inch that I had to go get cut off. I'm afraid that these little bumps are going to get that big .
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be seborrheic keratosis

Detailed Answer:
Frankly speaking the description of the lesion does not lead me anywhere. But multiple brown lesions in a sixty year old could be seborrheic keratosis.
These are brown benign lesions with stuck on appearance?
I would like to see the images of concerned lesions. you may either upload good quality images by clicking on upload report/ image icon or by sending it to YYYY@YYYY and mention Attn dr kalpana pathak in subject line.

waiting to see the images, so that we can carry on with the discussion.
Follow-up: Getting itchy bumps on arms, hands and legs got bigger and darker. Cause and treatment? 4 hours later
You are absolutely correct, I went on line to find out what seborrheic keratosis was and I viewed pictures and that is exactly what I have. Is there a home remedy I can try, and do H202 really work. Please tell me there is something I can do at home for this. And thank you so very much for your help, I now know what it is that I have. Thank you, thank you, so very much.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Home remedies might not help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Firstly I would like you to know few facts about seborrheic keratosis
It is completely benign
It may occur due to sun exposure
It may be inherited so it may run in families (as in your case)
If cosmetically not unpleasant, may be left as such

Home remedies like self application of hydrogen peroxide, XXXXXXX cider vinegar, salicylic acid is not advisable as it may not treat the existing lesion but may harm or burn the surrounding area. Even if the lesions fall off with these, the areas might heal with hypopigmentation which will be more unsightly.

In your case,
Use a good sunscreen daily
If the lesions do not bother you cosmetically, leave it as such. If they do then you get the lesions removed by electrocautery. Other methods of removal are cryotherapy, laser ablation or trichloroacetic acid spot application over the lesions. Personally I prefer cautery as lesions are removed completely with minimal side effects.

Hope that helped.
Follow-up: Getting itchy bumps on arms, hands and legs got bigger and darker. Cause and treatment? 3 hours later
Thank you so very much for your help, I am so very glad I found this site.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may close the query

Detailed Answer:
should there be no more queries, you may close the discussion and review the same.
Wishing you healthy life ahead.