Getting itchy bump on arm. Temporary relief from prednisone and antibiotic. How to cure this?

I keep getting these bumps. They look like one swollen bug bite. They are itchy. A doc prescribed prednisone and antibiotic. It took the bump down, but as soon as I stopped the prednisone, a new one formed a little further up my arm. This is my third cycle of prednisone. I think this may be a symptom of something underlying like lupus, but I can't find a picture of anything on the net that looks like this.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later

I have seen the attachment. This looks like a condition called erythema nodosum. These are nodules which form under the skin. It can be itchy or tender and may be associated with a condition called sarcoidosis.

The answer to the problem would lie in getting the lesion biopsied so that we unravel the underlying condition.

Prednisone will continue to suppress the problem and when you taper it the problem recurs again.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Getting itchy bump on arm. Temporary relief from prednisone and antibiotic. How to cure this? 3 hours later
I'm trying to find a rheumatologist in my area, but can't seem to get an appointment for another month. Is this something that I need to try to get seen before that or can it wait?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 19 minutes later

It can wait, as long as no other problems are coming up.
The other option is to see a dermatologist if possible to take an opinion.

Thanks and Regards