Getting irritation on the side of the tongue with a itchy throat. Is this herpes or allergy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello - 50 yo male. I have been experiencing mouth issues for several months now. started out as irritation on the side of the tongue with a itchy throat. That is when I saw a family doctor. he thought then it was allergies. So I have been taking allergy medication for 2 months but little change. Now it is both sides of the tongue are red and sore and a throbbing area above my upper lip. No throat issues. No visual sores. The lip area seems drier then normal. I have had one different partner but she doesn't have any of the same symptoms. Sound like herpes or allergies??? Or???
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Lesions such as leukoplakia (white patch over the buccal mucosa), erythroplakia (reddish lesion over the buccal mucosa), candid infection and lichen planus can present in the similar fashion. Apart from this any sharp tooth in the surrounding could have caused chronic irritation leading to mucositis (inflammation of the buccal mucosa). All these are just speculations, only after a thorough history and proper examination a diagnosis can be made. The lesions you describe are not likely to be related to STDs or herpes.
Perhaps a physical examination by a physician will be useful in differentiating amongst the various possibilities. Discuss about these with your primary physician. He can advise for a punch biopsy if he feels necessary for diagnosis.
Practice good oral hygiene. Be sure to eat a well-balanced diet.
Some minor sores of tongue do heal on their own.
You can take vitamin B complex supplements for a few days and see if it helps.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting irritation on the side of the tongue with a itchy throat. Is this herpes or allergy? 27 minutes later
Thanks for your reply Dr. Really appreciate the info.

Just strange that it hasn't reversed coarse and improved. So many small but continuous little things keep popping up for several months now.

The recent start of throbbing/pulsing on the upper lip area is very new.

red sore looking area on both sides of tongue for 2 plus months.
small red sore for a day on the roof of mouth.
dry lip area.

Never have I experienced these symptoms before. Not sure if I just need more time or if need to get certain tests done.

Of course always need to rule out the bad stuff.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The small red sore that improved on its own is likely to be related to infection or vitamin deficiencies rather than any cancerous growth. You can take plenty of fluids orally and have Vitamin B complex supplements for 2 weeks. In case the symptoms persist, then punch biopsy is recommended to find out the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.