Getting irregular periods, severe stomach pain and tiredness. How to regularise my periods?

Hi. I keep getting irregular periods. Either it comes once in 20 days or once in 40-50 days. When it comes after a long gap, I experience severe stomach pain and tiredness. What could be the reason for this? How do I regularize my periods? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later
From the symptoms that you have described, it is probable that you are suffering from dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Although this occurs due to a variety of reasons, the most common reason is when the ovaries do not release an ovum (egg). This can occur due to hormonal disturbances or due to polycystic ovaries or thyroid disorder
I would suggest you to get certain investigations done so that a conclusion can be reached. These include:
a. Complete blood count
b. Fasting blood sugar
c. Follicle stimulating hormone levels
d. Luteinizing hormone levels
e. Prolactin levels
f. Thyroid function tests ( serum thyroid stimulating hormone levels and serum free thyroxine levels)
g. Ultrasonography of the pelvic region

Till then, I would suggest that you increase your physical activity, do not take any stress and take iron supplements. You can take tablet ferrous sulphate 100 mg once daily empty stomach.
Do take the hormonal as your gynecologist has suggested.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting irregular periods, severe stomach pain and tiredness. How to regularise my periods? 2 minutes later
Ok fine. Thank you for your help. I will be getting married soon. Will this problem cause some fertility issue after marriage?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Irregular periods are usually anovulatory periods. A hormonal disturbance is also likely. It can affect your fertility after marriage.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.