Getting internal pain at knee after ACL reconstruction operation. Is this normal?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I underwent ACL reconstruction operation. They called this operation as "Arthroscopic ACL reconstruction left with BPTB graft and bioscrews and partial lateral meniscectomy". I am getting XXXXXXX pain at knee part. I am getting that pain in night time around 2 to 2:30. It is repeated from last two days onwards. I don't have proper sleep also. what is the reason for that? is it normal or abnormal? what should i do to reduce the pain?
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Do not worry; postoperative pain is normal in arthroscopic ACL reconstruction. All you need is to follow proper rehabilitation plan to reduce the pain and early recovery.

The knee brace given to you immediately after surgery must be worn in locked extension (straight leg) while walking and sleeping. You may take the brace off when doing exercises and/or the CPM machine.

When you are not walking, your leg should be straight with a pillow under your foot or ankle (not behind your knee). You can also keep pain levels down by keeping the leg elevated above your heart level.

You are already on nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (Movan-P). If they are not helping, you may take tramadol preparation after discussing with your surgeon.

If pain associated with fever and there is any discharge from operative, then consult your orthopaedic immediately to rule out any infection.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Follow-up: Getting internal pain at knee after ACL reconstruction operation. Is this normal? 40 hours later
I am getting sharp pains in different places in my left leg(mostly knee and foot part). As you told me to use braces, i am using that. My doctor also suggested (in phone without examine) to take tablet Lofecam SR. Still i am getting same kind of pain in night times causes not sleeping in night times. Is it normal or abnormal? What to do to reduce this pain?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

Do not worry too much, immediately after ACL reconstruction surgery, every patient has pain. With time and active rehabilitation, the pain should lessen and then disappear.

To reduce this pain you can-

Use cryotherapy- it is commonly used to reduce pain, inflammation, and effusion after ACL reconstruction. It acts through local effects, causing vasoconstriction, which reduces fluid extravasations; inhibiting afferent nerve conduction, which decreases pain and muscle spasm.

Keep the leg elevated with a pillow under your foot or ankle.

Use crepe bandage for compression, but not too tight.

Take painkiller as advice by your doctor.

If the pain increases in intensity, calf tenderness appears or local temp appears, contact immediately to your surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

If you do not have further queries, Please accept, rate and give your reviews.