Ask a Urologist   »  

Getting intermittent pain in urethra. How to feel better?

Hi I have been to urologist and doctor, I get intermitting pain in my uretha just irritation feeling and when i sit for a long time and when i first go to the bathroom it seems to get better if i drink more water and advil
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 10 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your question,
what you describe is an indication of a chronic inflammation of the urethra called chronic urethritis. The most common cause is an infection, but other diseases like inflammatory or autoimmune diseases could also cause it.
A urethral swab, microscopy, culture and sensitivity tests shall be necessary to identify the causative organism and give the appropriate anti biotics.
Markers of inflammation, CRP and markers of autoimmune diseases could be helpful in the diagnosis. I still think its of infectious origin.
Consulting a neurologist again and probably a rheumatologist could be of help. Avoid unprotected sex during this period is worthwhile.
I am predisposed answering further questions if need be.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.