Getting infectious boils with pus near the breast, stomach and back. Had herpes and ovary removed. On amlodac.

My Mother has been getting these infectious boils near the breast/stomach/back. It starts with a small boil (almost like a cyst) and then its starts spreading and there is a lot of Pus. She had multiple instances of same problem in the last 2 years.

She had Herpes as well around october. She has her ovary removed about 10 years ago, she is not a BP patient and take Amlodac AT regularly nothing apart from that

Please recomend what needs to be done

I am looking forward to what needs to be done and how this can be avoided in future
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 12 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.I can appreciate your concern for mother.

The reasons for recurrent boils could be:

>Allergy something like own sweat.
>Wearing tight clothes
>The organism which is causing is resistant to the drugs that are used
> Recurrent exposure: means the bacteria are surviving out side in the near by vicinity and the infect again and again.

What needs to be done?
>consult a skin specialist
>get her blood sugar checked
>Ask her to wear loose clothes
>Cotton clothes are better
>Maintain good personal hygiene; take bath 2 times a day.
>Any attack needs to be treated with a course of oral as well topical(local) antibiotics till it gets completely cured.
>Disinfect the common things used like door knows handles etc used frequently. Any mild antiseptic will do.

Please discuss this with your doctor. Doctor might take a sample of liquid from the boil and try to find out the causative organism (culture) and give specific treatment.

I hope this helps.

Wishing her good health.

Follow-up: Getting infectious boils with pus near the breast, stomach and back. Had herpes and ovary removed. On amlodac. 5 hours later
Hi Dr. Pragnesh

My mother just got a blood report done. she is high on Sugar but not diabetic as such. Also what might help is, my mom had her Uterus removed almost 10 years ago, but she is not on any other medication after that

Please recomend
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 43 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Please note that her blood sugar needs to:

Fasting Blood Sugar :< 110mg/dl
Post lunch sugar :< 140mg/dl

Anything above this is high and needs treatment either in form of diet modification or medicine suggested by your doctor.

High sugar could be the reason for recurrent infection.

As advised earlier please consult a skin specialist for further management.