Getting impetigo around mouth and turning to cold sore. Putting mupirocin ointment. Any suggestion?

I had impetigo earlier this year. I am 18 years old. Now I think I have it again. It has started out with dry and itchy skin around my mouth and then turned into cold sores. Then the next day my penis and testicles began to itch uncontrollably. It is getting worse and yesterday I started putting mupirocin ointment that I had from the last time everywhere it itches. I don't know if this is impetigo because it does not have a yellow discharge but it itches like crazy and I don't even want to go outside. I am miserable. All I do is itch all day and all night... PLEASE HELP.
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Any dermatological conditions are difficult to diagnose without examination.
Impetigo appears as a rash that may occur anywhere on the body and but commonly affects the face and other exposed areas. The rash may be blister-like, reddish, have a honey-colored crust, or very commonly will have a combination of all three. It may not always present with yellow discharge.
Doctors can distinguish an impetigo rash by looking at it. No lab tests are required. Examination is required.
Treating the rash with antibiotics will help the infection go away faster and also will prevent spread to others. Clean all sores and bites with antibacterial soap and water. Don't scratch or pick. Often, the rash and infection will go away on its own, but antibiotics are usually needed to get rid of the infection. While using antibacterial ointment, you should wash your hands well after applying it.
I advice you not to scratch the involved areas and to use the mupirocin ointment and can take oral antihistamines as you have intense itching. These are over the counter medication.
It is better to see dermatologist for exact diagnosis and i insist not to diagnose any condition by yourself and to go for treatment as dermatological condition all appears to be same. As you have very intense itching chances of spreading is more i advice you to see dermatologist.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Getting impetigo around mouth and turning to cold sore. Putting mupirocin ointment. Any suggestion? 4 hours later
Thankyou. I went to the dermatologist right after posting this they do not is so bad in my private area that it is raw. I wake up itching like crazy and do not even realize I am scratching it. I don't know what to do. They told me to buy an all natural itch cream and it stings when I put it on and makes the itching 10x worse. I am honestly scared. I cant stop thinking that I will have terrible scarring. Is it ok to scratch with a washcloth? Also, I just got 2 tattoos in the past 2-3 weeks...could that have anything to do with it. I don't think it does just because ones all the way across my chest and that just started itching it didn't start itching there and the other is on my back and also just started itching today but I'm not touching the tattooed cause I don't want to mess them up but its so miserable. The bottom line is, they have no idea what it is. Ahhhhh what do I do? There's no other dermatologists in my area
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 5 hours later
Good to hear from you.
You can use wash cloth but do not hardly scratch it but gently rub it, that will be fine. I advice you to apply the itch cream even if it stings. As mentioned above you can try using over the counter anti histamine medicine as you are having severe itching.
Prescription medicines like corticosteroid ointment. This class of medications has proven to be successful in the treatment of pruritus for many years by reducing skin inflammation, thus reducing the itching. Topical anesthetics work by directly interfering with the transmission of impulses along the sensory nerve fibers or by depressing cutaneous sensory receptors.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.