Getting hives on body and itching all over body. How to get relief from this?

Good evening doc.

1.I am getting hives(rashes) on body which disappears after sometime. It starts on hands and then proceeds to forehead, back, and whole body. This I am getting from last fifteen days.

2.My complete body feels like itching pl suggest what to do.
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 48 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. Hives or we call it as urticaria has many reasons. It is highly impossible to predict the cause. However the common causes are infections, ingestion of beverages, inhalation of pollen dust, ingestion of drugs etc.

Most urticarias disappear in four weeks with treatment.
The treatment includes antihistamines like cetrizine 5 mg at night for four weeks.
in case if you feel very drowsy next morning try taking 1/2 tab only
after a couple of days you can take 400mg tab of albendazole as a single dose as treatment for worm infestation. Though safe since it is a prescription based medication please take from the local doctor.

You may additionally apply calamin lotion as a soothening agent only if you have hives and not otherwise.
If you find any food contemplating your hives you may stop and observe. otherwise avoidance of particular food stuff may not really help you.
If hives do not disappear even after four to six weeks you need to be investigated throughly to find out any possible cause. this battery of test include hemogram, sugar tests, thyroid profile, CRP and IgE levels
I hope you may not need to go into that stage and you will recover
Prasad PVS