Getting hives off and on. ANA test was positive. What should I do?

Hello.I have been getting hives off and on for months well my Md did ana ana test it came back positive so hes doing a titer...what could be wrong with me I'm getting scared
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Urticaria may be a part of autoimmune disease. Detailed Answer: Hi, You are having urticaria from long time and ANA test is positive. So, I feel that your urticaria may be related with some autoimmune disease...SLE or other. ANAs can also be found in patients with conditions that are not considered classic autoimmune diseases, such as chronic infections. So I am sure your doctor would do some more test before he confirms autoimmune condition and treat you accordingly. If you haven't met a rheumatologist yet, you might consider talking to them now. A detailed picture of the problem and it's way to treat it will be formulated after the complete set of investigation is done. I understand the fear, but do not be worried to much. Your doctor should be able to handle the situation and give you best possible treatment. You can always look back to us for assistance. In the meantime, you may take antihistaminic like desloratidine or fexofenadine for long time to relieve urticaria. And if needed, steroids may be taken in tappering dose. I hope you got my answer. Let me know if you need clarification. Regards Dr. Ilyas Patel MD