Getting hiccup like sound from throat. Having frequent contractions in upper abdomen. Cause?

ENT Specialist
My son is getting hiccup like sound from his throat if laughed for the past 3-4 days. Having frequent (almost every minute) contractions in upper abdomen as if he is coughing for few weeks. These contractions settle in sleep. What could be the reason?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query

I have gone through your query, it suggests that your son most probably suffering from gastroesophageal reflux disease. It may be difficult to detect in infants and children.

Personally I advised the antacid to your son,

But to exclude the other disease and for clear cut diagnosis, your son may go for-
1. Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD).
2. Barium swallow
3. Esophageal manometry
4. Ambulatory esophageal pH monitoring

If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query

Wish you good health