Getting heartburn. Dont have any stomach pain. What can be done?

General Surgeon
Question
I had a heart burn incident this morning. I rarely get heartburn. It's been years actually. I don't have any stomach pain and I feel okay but when I take a XXXXXXX breath, it hurts. What should I do?
Thanks,
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your heartburn may be caused by acid reflux disease, peptic ulcer or some stomach mucus inflammation. But always when the heartburn appears it is necessary to rule heart attack out. Even if you didnt have any heart issues before. You should have at least simple heart ECG to make sure.
Such rare heartburns usually do not need any treatment, but as stomach diseases can give no symptoms at all it is advisable for you to have upper GI endoscopy. In about 50% of cases peptic ulcer gives no symptoms for a very long time and the first symptom may be stomach perforation. Moreover, it is necessary to check if there is Helicobactery Pylori infection and if so, antibiotics therapy is necessary.
Acid reflux disease very often is associated with asthma disease and that can be a reason of you pain when breathing. So spirometry (so called blow test) should be performed as well.
In a meanwhile you should avoid any soft drinks, coffee, fatty food, chocolate and fruit juices. Mineral water intake is advisable. You can also try to put your head little higher when sleeping and do not eat 2 hours before sleeping.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Getting heartburn. Dont have any stomach pain. What can be done? 12 minutes later
Thanks for your response. I've had a recent ECG and blow test. They said everything was fine. Is there anything I can do to stop the pain when I take a XXXXXXX breath?
Or, will it just go away on it's own?
Thanks,

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If ECG and blow test was ok, there is possibility that this pain is caused by either some stomach problem or gall stones. So when you breath in your liver is moving and it produces pain. You should have abdominal ultrasound in such case and mentioned upper GI endoscopy. Not much you can do by your own to ease this pain. You can try Metamizole or Buscolisyne (should be available without prescription). This medicines do relax digestive tract muscles.

Regards.

Follow-up: Getting heartburn. Dont have any stomach pain. What can be done? 2 minutes later
Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 minute later
You are welcome.