Getting heart flutters, pulsation in abdomen and back. What is going on?

I have a pulsation in the left side of my abdomen that sometimes goes into the small of my back off and on for a couple of weeks! Is there any diagnosis for that? You can place your hands on it and feel the pulsing. It doesn't hurt but only aggravates causing you to wonder what is going on!
Sometimes, I get flutters in my heart area! The doctor says there is nothing wrong after he check it out! Is this related to the pulsating in my left side?
I also feel a slight pain trying to surface in my left side since I made the previous observation! Is all this connected?
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

I do not see any reason for worry.

Pulsations that you feel in your abdomen may pulsations of underlying abdominal aorta (main artery in abdomen) or some involuntary muscle contractions can also be felt like this.

At times when there is less fat in abdomen skin you can feel the pulsating artery.

Other then this nothing particular pulsating can be felt inside the abdomen.

Again as you have been examined by a doctor and found nothing, there is no need for concern.

When you become more concerned you hear more often.

Still in case you are too much concerned, you may discuss with your doctor about option of going for ultrasound of abdomen. This will clarify everything.

In the absence of any other complaints I do not see any reason for concern.

I hope this helps and clarifies your concern.

Wishing you great health.

Follow-up: Getting heart flutters, pulsation in abdomen and back. What is going on? 8 minutes later
I just want to clarify! This pulsating I am feeling is not in the abdomen, it is more in my left side and goes toward middle of my back! Respond please!
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back and clarification.

In such case the pulsations that you feel is of heart.

When heart rate increase due to any reason:

High Blood Pressure
Physical activity
Some physical condition like weakness, fever
Some drinks etc.

This can happen. Knowingly or unknowingly when you think about it, you feel it more.

Again, as written earlier as you have been to a doctor and he feels that everything is fine, I do not see any reason for concern.

Still, in case this persists you should visit your doctor again and get your self examined, your doctor may ask for ECG or other investigation as per need.

Do not worry.