Getting headaches, fatigue, lactation and vision problem. What could be the problem?

Nov 2013

Hi, i have all the symptoms of a pituitarytumor but my bloods came back normal. I get headaches, fatigue, lactation(i am not pregnant nor have i ever been) and when exposed to the dark my vision in one eye completely disappears:S
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

The pituitary tumour likely to cause the symptoms of headache, fatigue and lactation is a prolactinoma. In this condition, serum prolactin level would be high. If your prolactin level is normal, then the chance of a pituitary tumour causing galactorrhoea (lactation) is very less.

If still in doubt, an MRI scan of the brain including pituitary fossa would be useful.

The visual symptoms in pituitary tumour are due to field defects. The most typical is bitemporal hemianopia- where a person has difficult in seeing the peripheral visual fields on both sides. An evaluation by ophthalmologist with visual field assessment can sort this out.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Getting headaches, fatigue, lactation and vision problem. What could be the problem? 1 hour later
How would i go about getting an mri on the nhs if my gp doesnt think this is serious? Also is the fact im lactating and have been for a while going to affect my chances of conceiving a baby in the future?i was reading up on multipels endocrine neoplasia which seems to coincide with a lot of my symptoms (the same as the pituitary tumor more or less) is there a chance that could be whata wrong with me? Or would that be detected my irregular hormone lvls/prolacton levels too?
Thanks for ur help
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

I would like to reassure you that you do not have clinical symptoms of MEN (multiple endocrine neoplasia). Moreover, as you said, it would get detected in blood tests/hormonal profile tests.

If your serum prolactin level is normal, and you have regular menstrual cycles, there should not be any problems with conception in future.

I hope your GP decides to order MRI later (even if not now), if your symptoms do not get better.

Best wishes,