Getting headaches after Lumbar puncture. Is this normal?

I had an lp 7 days ago and I'm still getting slight headaches is this normal
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 18 minutes later
Hi! By lp I think you mean lumbar puncture.

Yes after an LP you can get a headache that can last several weeks. In fact after an LP it is advisable to stay recumbent in bed with head end raised to prevent this problem --do not worry it will go away after some time.

Can you elaborate on what the lp was for? And please let me know if there are any other follow up queries.

Follow-up: Getting headaches after Lumbar puncture. Is this normal? 9 hours later
They tested for viral meningitis but I ended up with a spinal leak which they are letting heal itself with rest and caffeine
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 29 hours later

So I do not think you need to worry. It will clear up on its own but may take a couple of weeks. Hope this reassures you; and if you find my answer satisfactory, please indicate so.

Regards and best wishes for a speedy recovery.