Getting headache, tightness in chest, fast heart rate and feeling congested. What's wrong?

Nov 2013

Hi lately I have been getting this tightening in my chest, almost feeling like I'm congested like I need to cough. And my heart beats harder. But it only lasts a minute or two. And I've been getting pounding headaches. Today is the third day of my headache
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Pounding headaches suggest a vascular origin for the headaches. These are migraine-like headaches in mechanism, but not in totality, as the migraine headache usually lasts longer than four hours.

Feeling of chest congestion and harder beating of heart are connected to the headaches. This is secondary to the release of chemicals such as adrenaline or noradrenaline.

As of now, you can take symptomatic treatment such as rizatriptan or sumatriptan tablets.

If symptoms persist, you may see a neurologist and get a brain scan done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishung you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Getting headache, tightness in chest, fast heart rate and feeling congested. What's wrong? 35 minutes later
I've got migraine headaches my whole life but they seem to more consistent lately and the chest pain is more recent. It comes and goes. I also am very nauseous most of the time. And sometimes when I cough to get the chest pain to go away I get a very very sharp pain in my very low abdomen that lasts for about ten seconds then subsides.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Thank you for getting back with more information..

Since your migraine headaches have become more frequent, you may benefit from starting preventive medications such as beta blockers, topiramate, etc. This would reduce the frequency and severity of headaches.

Feeling of nausea could be a part of migraines.

Since you have chest pain on coughing, it could also be pleuritic chest pain. So, a chest X-ray may be done to exclude infection, if not already done.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM