Getting headache, metallic taste in mouth, weight loss, hair loss. HPT negative. What is going on?

Im a 31 white female, 5'5 in height, 230 in weight and has lost 50+ in 6 months due to finding out about my thyroid and prediabetes which I am taking medicines for and have for over 5 months now. About a week ago my hair started coming out in handfuls and Ive been having pretty severe headaches then yesterday out of no where had a horrible bitter metallic taste and enhanced smell take place more heavier than other times but I still have the metallic taste in my mouth. Sex with my husband has been real hard. It seems my vagina walls has gotten swollen making me smaller than I already am. we have to take our time now due to me being swollen and tight. Im bloated and crampy a week and a half before my next period but I took a pregnancy test 6 days after my last unusual 3 day period and it was negative. The worst of all this is last night my husband found a fist of hair like spot on the side of my upper head where my hair just seemed to break off..almost like a bald spot. I am very tender headed so that amount of hair I would of felt but I didn't. Could this be pregnancy or could it be something worse? I have taken a home pregnancy test over a week ago and it was a negative.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Its a good idea you are taking appropriate measures already with respect to your weight. Hormonal changes are often the commonest causes of hair loss in women. Thyroid dysfunction is a common cause of hair loss. Child birth and some nutritional deficiencies could also explain hair loss. A due to gastroesophagal reflux disease, or influx of acid from the stomach into the mouth. This might be accompanied by pan in the upper region of the abdomen, usually at nigh or early hours of the morning. The difficulties you experience could be aided temporarily with the use of lubricants. Persistence of the pain might warrant reevaluation by a gynecologist.
The commonest cause of irregular menstruation or delayed periods in women is pregnancy. But in anovulatory cycles where an egg cell is not produced, under influence of particular drugs and stress, it is not unsual to experience either delays or more frequent menses. But a good pregnancy test, repeated two after the first must always be done to exclude the possibility of a pregnancy.
I suggest you consult a dermatologist for the hair loss problem for a proper evaluation. Consider that thyroid disease could be part of the causes. Using lubricants during intercourse might help but persistence of unusual intense pain should make you take an appointment with a dermatologist. Do another pregnancy test, preferrable using blood B HCG measures in a good hospital setting to rule out or confirm the possibility of a pregnancy.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.