Getting headache, hearing whooshing sound and feeling dizzy. What am I suffering from?

ENT Specialist
Hi I get a head ache right behind my right ear for aweek or to a month. I also hear wooshing sounds and a weird sound that kind of sounds like bee. I am also having a hard time hearing low sounds. Do u know what it could be? I also sometimes feel dizzie
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you have described seem to be of either chronic mastoiditis or chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) which requires a complete evaluation of the ear. Apart from that, migraine also has to be ruled out.

Any long standing infection in the middle ear can present as occasional pain behind the ear, reduced hearing and tinnitus (whooshing in the ear), dizziness, etc. The most common causes include chronic mastoiditis with or without ear discharge and CSOM. Both of these conditions require a complete examination of the ear followed by audiological and radiological evaluation to substantiate the same.

Migraine is another condition which is very common in adolescent females. The classical features include one sided headache lasting for few hours to days, tenderness over the affected side, noise in the ear, nausea, dizziness, etc.

Consult a good ENT specialist for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon