Getting headache behind left eye. CT scan done. What are the findings and required treatment?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Have had headache for almost three weeks at left temple and behind left eye. Had CT today. Report states:

"19 x 13 mm predominantly lytic lesion continuous with underlying CSF. Lytic lesion with several ossific foci along the margin which appears to be continuous with underlying CSF, favored to represent enlarged arachnoid granulations. A begign lesion such as hemangioma is felt less likely, but also a differential consideration XXXXXXX

I don't understand this and can't see my neuro for another 10 days. What does this mean? Should I be concerned? Is this a benign condition?
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The findings of CT scan are suggestive of a lytic lesion with various ossifications may be due to arachnoid granulations which is a normal anatomical structure in our brains.
It may be due to benign proliferation of blood vessels like hemangioma. Please do not worry as the findings are suggestive of a benign lesion.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Getting headache behind left eye. CT scan done. What are the findings and required treatment? 25 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. Can you tell me what would case this type of lesion and how it can be treated, especially if I can't shake this headache? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Since it is likely to be a part of normal anatomy, there is no need of a treatment. The symptomatic treatment with mild pain killers like ibuprofen is recommended for now.
Let the neurologist have a detailed examination and then he will decide regarding the specific treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Getting headache behind left eye. CT scan done. What are the findings and required treatment? 28 minutes later
No question, just a thank you for being so helpful and easing my mind a bit.

Regards and thank you.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards

Follow-up: Getting headache behind left eye. CT scan done. What are the findings and required treatment? 4 days later
With the above results from the CT, I'm wondering why I'm being referred for an MRI. What will that show that a CT scan won't show? Is there cause for concern? Do I need to prepare for some bad new possibly? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
You have been referred for an MRI to confirm the diagnosis and to see more clearly the lytic lesions that you are having.
It is not likely to bring any bad news for you. Please do not worry.
Best regards.