Getting frequent tonsillitis. On amoxicillin and loratadine. Missed taking pill. Will it be cured?

I get tonsillitis frequently. I was prescribed amoxicillin and i have to take it 3 days a week. I have missed a couple days unfortunately (only takeing two a day). I also have Loratadine, will that help my tonsillitis go away?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later

Recurrent tonsillitis is usually defined as 5 or more episodes a year, symptoms for at least a year and episodes that may be so bad that they affect the ability of the person to function.

Both children and adults can suffer from recurrent tonsillitis however the bacteria that causes recurrent tonsillitis in adults is often different than that in children. In addition the bacteria that may be found in adults may more likely make a substance called beta-lactamase.
Beta-lactamase are these substances that are made by some bacteria that stop some antibiotics from working by essentially breaking them down.
If the bacteria that is causing your recurrent tonsillitis is producing beta lactamase , it may not respond to amoxicillin.
You would be able to tell, if you get no relief while taking the medication appropiately.

If you are switched to antibiotics that are resistant to beta lactamase and still have symptoms and recurrent episodes, then you may have to consider tonsillectomy.

Loratadine is an antihistamine, it may help with symptoms such as runny nose or sneezing but it would help the tonsillitis.

I hope that this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any additional questions