Getting frequent pains under ribs, unable to move and vomiting. X-ray normal. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Hi, I am getting frequent pains under my lower ribs on the right side (occasionally on the left but nowhere near as severe) which increases in intensity to the point where I am unable to move for the pain and I vomit. The pain then goes away after an hour and a half. I have had an x-ray done but it didn't show anything so I was told nothing is wrong but this is happening more often. What else could it be?
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Lower right pain under ribs, nausea, vomiting are very characteristic for gallstones. The pain usually appears after a fatty foods, fried foods or alcohol. It can radiate to the back.

I suggest you to have blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP) and abdominal ultrasound done. In case of gallstones, laparoscopic surgery is necessary.

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods and alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.