Getting fluttery feelings at the base of throat. What is causing this?

I am 48 yrs old and healthy weight. The last week or so, I have been getting these strange butterfly fluttery feelings at the base of my throat. Am wondering what it could be? I have been under abit of pressure lately with buying new business, settling one teenager into boarding school and another into her own place in the city. I am a vegetarian, although have started eating small amounts of oily fish again.
Medical history? Had uterine fibroids treated 12 mths ago with focused ultrasound with good results. Have had very low iron levels in the past due to this, but do supplement when I remember!
Thanks for your help.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Sudden fluttering feeling at the base of the throat without any cardiac or lung disorder, with no history of smoking, alcohol or drugs points towards anxiety disorder. You have been taking a lot of stress recently.
To help this problem you can take a few measures-
1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.
You can also discuss the problem with your GP who will help you in choosing a good antianxiety drug with low day time sedation.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting fluttery feelings at the base of throat. What is causing this? 36 minutes later
Thank you think I should have my hormone levels and thyroid function checked?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Thyroid imbalance and hormone disturbance also needs to be ruled out. A few blood tests will help in detecting that.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.