Getting fever and chills. CT scan showed white spots on lung and pancreas. What can it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have just been told that my CT scan showed white spots on my lung and pancrease. I am getting over an infection of some type and had a fever and chills for three days and have been treated for diverticulitis. The CT was for that and it showed that I did not have Di... .but it did show the spots. What can it be?
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
"All white spot like lesions do not represent a disease".
The lesions found in your lungs and pancreas are non progressive. Thus are more indicative a benign chance finding. In the absence of any clinical signs and symptoms, the significance of these white hyperintense lesions are difficult to assess.

A lot of work has been done to determine the significance of such small white lesions. The thinking now is that they represent ischemia (lack of blood flow) in the small blood vessels of the organs. Hence they are also at times referred to as ischemic small vessel disease. Hence these lesions are more commonly seen in the MRI of patients who have cerebrovascular risk factors like hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol as well as those that smoke. Their incidence increases with age.
This finding in your case is not worrisome.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.