Getting feeling of something struck in throat. No relief from gargling. What could be the issue?

ENT Specialist
Hello, for the past week and a half I've been feeling like there is a some food stuck in my throat (at the bottom of my tongue to be precise) when I swallow food during meals. When I stuck fingers down my throat i felt a sticking out tissue which was hard and felt like cartilage (I don't know whether it was always there or not). About an two hours ago I gargled my throat with warm water and salt and that seemed to help. What could be the issue? Additionally it felt strongest the first time I felt it.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M.for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding difficulty is swallowing food and feeling of sticking of food particle in throat.When you put your finger deep down in throat you felt a firm tissue like cartilage.

Considering your complaints In all aspects I am suspecting That most probably you are touching the epiglitis deep down in your throat. this is not any abnormal thing, but please don't touch it by finger as this may cause further swelling in epiglotis which may leads to diffculty in swallowing and breathing.

Possible causes of swelling in epiglotis are-

(a) Allergy.

(b) Infection.

(c) Growth.

At present you may take following medication for immidiate relief-

(1) Antibiotic- Amoxicillin (625 mg) three times a day.

(2) Anti inflamatory- Combination of Diclofenac (50 mg) and Serratiopeptidase (15 mg). Two times in a day.

(3) Steroid- This is in a bolus and stat dose.

(4) Steam inhalation.

I hope this will help you but after taking this much treatment you do not feel comfortable than consultation with ENT doctor will be necessary for thorough examination of throat and planing for treatment.