Getting feeling of choking while burping and sometimes without burping. How to get rid of this?

I have excessive burping and a feeling of choking. Sometimes feeling of choking is while burping and sometimes without burping. What can be causing this and what should I do to try to get rid of this ? I am going to go see a psychiatrist next week to address anxiety issues. Should I make an appointment with a gastronterologist ?
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 11 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your question.

The symptoms you have mentioned are suggestive of acid reflux disease.

You can take Tab. Prilosec OTC for relief.

In addition to prilosec you need to do the following -

1. Weight reduction if obese

2. Avoid alcohol, smoking, coffee, citrus, fatty food, chocolates, tomatoes

3. Avoid bedtime snacks

4. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food

Anxiety also worsens it.
In addition anxiety can cause aerophagia ( excessive swallowing of air) which in turn can cause persistent burping.

If the above medication would not help within next two weeks, you better take an appnt with Gastroenterologist.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini