Getting feeling of blocked ear, having a fluid in the head, swollen lymph node at the back of head

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, When I turn my head from left to right it feels like there is fluid swishing about in the back of my head. Also if I lay on my back with my head over the side of the bed so it's lower than my body it makes a squelching noise and when I move it back up it sort of clicks. I also seem to have a problem with my inner ears always feeling blocked with fluid and nothing I do seems to help that. If I hold my nose and blow pressure seems to build up but it never releases and no fluid ever comes out. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and a little has released. I also have a hard lymph node in the left occipital region on the back of my head. Any ideas? Thanks
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
The feeling of having a fluid in the head is likely to be due to a middle ear infection. The swollen lymph node at the back of your head could also be related to this infection.
Kindly get yourself examined by a ENT Specialist so that he/she may examine you and prescribe proper antibiotics. Your Doctor may also run few tests like,

1.) Blood work.
2.) Tuning fork evaluation, to rule out if you have sensorineural or conduction deafness
3.) Tympanometry.
4.) Audiology exam.

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

In addition to the medications, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Keep your ear dry while it's healing, Place a silicone earplug or cotton ball coated with petroleum jelly in your ear when showering or bathing.
2.) Refrain from cleaning your ears.
3.) Avoid blowing your nose.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Getting feeling of blocked ear, having a fluid in the head, swollen lymph node at the back of head 11 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX Tayal,

Thanks for answering my question.

I agree I might have an ear infection however the water feeling is definitely in the back of my head can water in ears create fluid in back of head? Like I said on my first post if I hold my head over the bed then it makes a squelching sound in back of head. Also the blocked feeling in my inner ears is frustrating but not really painful, would you expect an ear infection to be painful?
Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The ear infections are painful but sometimes it is an aseptic inflammation which causes the collection of fluid in the inner ear. It does give the feeling of having fluid at the back of the head. An MRI scan of the head will help in confirming the findings.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Getting feeling of blocked ear, having a fluid in the head, swollen lymph node at the back of head 13 hours later
Thank you for your detailed answers and good advice. I will go to my local doctor and have them check what you have suggested.
Best Regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards