Getting fainting spells. Not cured by encorate. What should be done to get cured?

Nov 2013

Hi Sir, My father is 62yr old and he is fainting from last 1 yr. Initially it was happening 1 or 2 time in month. 2 month back he was prescribed for encorate 300 mg then after 1 week encorate chorno 500 mg. He was ok for 1 month but now he is started fainting from yesterday 5 or 6 times in a day specially in the morning. Sir I am obliged if you can help me. Please help me sir. He lives in village and i want him to stable to come to delhi and then we can visit hospital.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 55 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.
Epilepsy is a chronic illness and requires medications for a long time. The hallmark of treatment is the use of anti epileptic medications, which should be the correct ones and at correct dose.
Encorate chrono (sodium valproate) is a good medicine and the usual dose is 500 mg twice daily.
For immediate control of fits, he can be given INJ LORAZEPAM, under the guidance of local doctor. This injection would prevent any fits for the next 12 hours, during which time he may be brought to Delhi for further treatment.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Getting fainting spells. Not cured by encorate. What should be done to get cured? 15 minutes later
Thank you Sir for replying my query,

However, We need at least 3 to 4 days to be able to come to delhi. You know, we have to book train tickets subject to availability. I would request you to provide me a tablet adding with Encorate 5oo mg so that he can be stable for some days and then i can brought him to delhi. These days he is having fitts for 4 or 5 times in the morning and then he is stable for next 24 hr.

Thanking you,

Best wishes,

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
As of now, you can add TAB LEVIPIL (LEVETIRACETAM). The usual starting dose is 500 mg twice daily and depending on the response, the usual maximum dose is 1500 mg twice daily.
This can be prescribed by a local doctor.
Best wishes,