Getting episodes of facial flushing while anxious and doing exercise. Any treatment?

Psychiatrist
Question
hello,

For the last year i have been getting episodes of facial flushing, it seems to happen the most after work while im relaxing. Its lasts for about 30 minutes and my face is bright red upto my temples. Anxiety and exercise also seem to trigger it. I have been tested for carcinoid and adrenal tumors but both were negative. I would really like to get to the bottom of this as my doctor has not been able to help.

Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Beauty

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clarifications

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way.

1) what other things happen to you while you are flushing. Your heart rate breathing how are they
2. What are the thoughts that go through your mind while you are flushing.
3. Does it happen very frequently?

Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Regards and wish you good health,

Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Follow-up: Getting episodes of facial flushing while anxious and doing exercise. Any treatment? 1 hour later
thanks for your reply happens atleast once a day , breathing and heart rate are fine. im not thinking anything usually when it happens, but it seems to always happen after work or during exercise. also makes my face very warm to touch.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Autonomic Disturbances

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
From the description that you have given it appears that there is an autonomic dysfunction in your body. Basically there are two nervous systems in our body, sympathetic and parasympathetic, which work in balance. When ever there is an imbalance then one the systems takes over and then you have autonomic dysfunction.
To put it in simple way, there is an episodic imbalance in your nervous control which is leading to your flushing of face.
As long as it is not troublesome, there is no need to worry. However if it becomes troublesome then you need to investigate the cause for imbalance.
Investigating it will require an MRI of spine as sympathetic chain is lying parallel to it.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.