Getting dry mouth. Took nystan for oral thrush. All medical tests normal. Cause and cure?

Hi, I often have a dry, chalky feel in my mouth which comes and goes for the better part of the last year.
It started with a severe case of oral thrush which was treated with Nystan. I have been tested for HIV, diabetes, and all sorts of other potential deficiencies (including blood work and swab tests) and generally seem to be healthy. No one can seem to tell what is causing this other than potential residual effects on the thrush. Can you please advise?
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 23 minutes later

The feel in your mouth can be caused by excessive breathing through the mouth, or it may be caused by insufficient production of saliva.

Beside a poorly controlled diabetes, other causes of insufficient saliva production include anxiety, drinking alcoholic beverages, physical trauma to the salivary glands or their ducts or nerves, dehydration caused by lack of sufficient fluids.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD
Follow-up: Getting dry mouth. Took nystan for oral thrush. All medical tests normal. Cause and cure? 2 hours later
Thanks Dr. Oana. I do not breathe through my mouth and stay hydrated by drinking lots of fluids throughout the day. I do not had any trauma that I am aware.
With this in mind and given the duration of the symptons (on and off for a year) as well as the fact that it seems to have been onset by my oral thrush a year ago, do you have any recommendation for what I should do or try?
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 days later

I apologize for the delayed response.

Well apart from those mentioned, episodes of other systemic infection and certain medications are associated with dry and flaky mouth. However based on the details submitted, I am unable to relate any such infections or drug induced dryness as the cause here.

I hope you have visited a dermatologist. As the condition have been recurring for a long time, it would be essential to identify the true case. An effective treatment can be planned accordingly.

If a dermatologist visit is pending, I would recommend you to consult one nearby your region for evaluation and determining the cause.

I hope you found my answer useful. Let me know if you need further clarifications.