Getting dizzy spells and headaches. CT Scan of revealed sinusitis. Had ballon sinuplasty. What can I do?

Nov 2013

Good Morning!

I've been suffering from a few things... since back in August I started getting these off-balance dizzy spells and headaches, every single day. I've been to the ENT, had an ENG test, gone to Vestibular therapy. A CT Scan of my head revealed that I had sinusitis that was pretty bad, so they did a balloon sinuplasty and that really did help with the pressure in my ears, which was great. It's been 1-month to the date of the procedure and my sinuses are ok, but the dizziness and headaches are very much still with me. I have no idea where to go or where to turn. I do have alot of stress because I work 2 jobs and lately my anxiety is up because I'm always scared of this horrible feeling... I feel like I'm going to die when it hits and it's horrible... This passing out feeling is the worst I've ever experienced. My mom wants me to try massage therapy because I do have alot of stress and tension and she also wants me to try maybe seeing somebody for my neck... I just dont' know what do do anymore and I feel hopeless... ;/

In the past 3 weeks, I decided to see a Neurologist at the Cleveland Clinic here and she ordered an MRI and an MRA, both with no contrast... Mostly for "peace of mind" because after a few tests she performed she said she thinks there is absolutely nothing wrong with me neurologically... My tongue at times feels numb and again, very scary... I haven't heard anything back regarding the MRI and MRA and I know that what they say "no news is good news" should calm me down, but I'm a total worry wart and even though yes I think they would've notified me had something of the unusual been found, it still makes me nervous... and of course the ever present dizziness just hangs out with me all day long... ;/ I'm at the point where I might get my hormones checked because I'm just so lost... about everything...
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your concern. However, I would like to reassure you that there is little chance of you having any serious neurological problem.
I am expecting your MRI and MRA report to come as normal.
The most likely explanation for your symptoms is peripheral vertigo. You would benefit from betahistine tablets. Vestibular rehabilitaiton exercises would help in long term remission and preventing relapses.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist