Getting dizzy and having nausea after riding horse. What could be wrong?

ENT Specialist
I have been getting dizzy and having nausea after riding my horse on distance rides, usually six hours and around twelve miles or so. It used to occur after long rides of 25 miles or more, but has gotten worse over the years. I lie down for several hours and it goes away. Is this something to worry about? Is there something I can do to prevent it. I am 64, checked blood sugar one time when I had this and it was 97.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fatigue possible, Tests for dizziness required

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Fatigue after riding for six hours may be the cause if your medical examination is normal.

2. A doctor can, under direct examination, look for abnormal eye movements (nystagmus), test the hearing, balance and neurological system to ascertain whether the dizziness is central (brain related) or peripheral (inner ear related).

3. BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) is a common type of peripheral vertigo. It leads to dizziness after change of position and activity. Cervical spine X-rays may help.

4. There are many causes for such dizziness. These will have to be excluded by a doctor who specializes in treating cases of vertigo and dizziness.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.