Ask a Urologist   »  

Getting dark yellow and it stinky urine. Mouth is always sour and taste bad. What can it be?

Hi my name is XXXXXXX Almeida, I am a little worry about my urine because it's really dark yellow and it stinky badly. And my mOuth is always really sour with a bad taste. What can it be!?
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 27 minutes later
 The characteristic pale yellow color of urine is due to the presence of the pigment, known as urochrome. Changes in the color of urine from pale yellow to dark yellow can be caused by several factors.Generally, dark yellow urine may not be accompanied by any other symptom, if any serious disease is not responsible for this condition. But, if it is caused by the infection in the urinary tract, one can smell a strong and offensive odor. Apart from this, one may experience the tendency to urinate frequently and a burning sensation while urinating. Infection can also produce fever and abdominal pain in some individuals.

Before coming to any conclusion regarding the changes in urine coloration, it is very important to pay attention to the foods that have been consumed recently as well as the amount of fluid intake. This is because, it has been observed that temporary abnormal coloration of urine is most commonly caused by the consumption of certain foods and dehydration. Water plays a very important role in draining the impurities out of our body through urine. Hence, keep yourself properly hydrated by drinking at least 8 glasses of water daily. 

Intake of Certain Foods and Drugs:  As for example, asparagus can impart a dark yellow color to urine along with strong odor, while consumption of blackberries and rhubarb can give it a red tinge. Similarly, consuming a large amount of beets can make urine to appear reddish-purple. Dark yellow coloration of urine can also result from the presence of high level of B complex vitamins, which belong to the group of water-soluble vitamins. Similarly, vitamin C can impart orange or bright yellow color to urine. Medications that can cause yellow-brown colored urine include nitrofurantoin, sulfamethoxazole and quinine derivatives.

There are many diseases like jaundice,hematuria,hemolytic anemias which may result in dark yellow urine.

Take plenty of water for few days and observe the color and odor.
But, if your urine is dark yellow consistently for a considerable time period and you can also smell a bad odor, then it is better to seek medical attention and get tests done like blood test, liver function test, examination of urine sample, urinalysis as well as ultrasound of both kidneys and urinary bladder.
 The results of these diagnostic tests would, in turn, determine the course of treatment for the dark yellow urine.
The bad taste may be temporary and just due to your worry.Wait and watch.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Getting dark yellow and it stinky urine. Mouth is always sour and taste bad. What can it be? 35 minutes later
Can it be STD?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 41 minutes later
The answer is NO.
STD has different symptoms.
Follow-up: Getting dark yellow and it stinky urine. Mouth is always sour and taste bad. What can it be? 4 days later
My question was if STD and HPV infection are the same?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 13 minutes later
HPV is a sexually transmitted infection.
STD is a term used for diseases which are transmitted through sex.