Getting cramps, heartburn, diarrhea and bloating after eating. What is causing this and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
stomach problemsI am 28, 5ft tall, and weigh about 170. Recently I have been having problems with my stomach. Every time I eat or if I.don't eat I get a seriously bad stomach ache. My symptoms are nausea, cramping, heartburn, diarria, upset stomach, bloating, and I'm very uncomfortable. It keeps me up at night and I can't lay any way to make it feel better. I try pepto, antacids anything that I think will help but it doesn't. I'm not sure what to do. I also have an iud that may or may not be time or over it's time to be taken out. I don't know if this could have any affect at all.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The digestion problems that you are having are not likely to be related to the IUD that you have. The symptoms might be a result of an irritable bowel syndrome- more prominent with stress and anxiety. Try to do some dietary changes and lifestyle modifications for relief.
1.Some vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts) and legumes (beans) may worsen bloating and gassiness and should be avoided.
2.Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms.
3.Drink plenty of water, and avoid carbonated drinks such as soda, which may cause gas and discomfort.
4.Eat smaller meals and eat slowly to help reduce cramping and diarrhea.
5.Low fat, high carbohydrate meals such as pasta, rice, and whole-grain breads may help .
Reduce Caffeine,Alcohol,Dairy products,Fatty foods,Artificial sweeteners .
You can use some over the counter drugs like pepto bismol, tums, imodium, entrocalm, etc for symptomatic relief.
Daily exercises along with a low fat diet will help you overcome the problems.
You can consult a gastroenterologist for stronger prescription medicines if over the counter drugs are not helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.