Getting cough and phlegm. Can you suggest medicines?

i am getting cough and flum, can you suggest me any medicines?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Mild cough and flu is usually allergic in origin or due to a viral infection of throat. If it is associated with pain in swallowing then bacterial infection or tonsillitis is suspected which needs an antibiotic treatment to subside. A throat swab culture will help in confirming the infection.
For the mild symptoms that you are having, you need to take antipyretic like acetaminophen (Tylenol) 500mg after meals three times a day.
For symptomatic relief, you can have cough lozenges or some ginger ale to soothe the throat irritation.
Put on the humidifier in your room.
Avoid spicy and cold foods.
Having some steam inhalation with a few drops of Eucalyptus oil will also help to bring in relief.
Taking a high dose of Vitamin C supplements will help in building up over all immunity.
Using a steroid inhaler will be helpful if the cough is persistent and infection is ruled out.
If you have a high grade fever with chills or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia or bronchitis.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting cough and phlegm. Can you suggest medicines? 7 minutes later
there is no pain and swallow, I am getting strong cough and flum only, for that which medicine will suit?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
A strong cough with phelgm is indicative of a throat infection even if there is not much pain on swallowing.
Antibiotics like Amoxycillin and clavulinic acid or levofloxacin are needed after a detailed examination to rule out any associated chest infection.
Please do consult your primary physician for appropriate prescription medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.